Based out of Downtown Toronto, the incumbent will work at any of our downtown Toronto Hotels, as well as occasional working days at our Home Office in Mississauga, Ontario.
Silver Hotel Group is currently looking for a hard-working team player to fill the position of Accounting Manager Downton Toronto Hotels. Reporting to the Director of Operations & Finance, the successful candidate is expected to be self-motivated, organized, accurate, efficient, analytical, and able to multi-task and meet stringent deadlines. The Accounting Manager is responsible for all aspects of the accounting function within Hotels including, but not limited to; accounts receivable, daily revenue reporting, cash deposits, accounts payable and payroll verification, internal controls and financial policy and procedure management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Operations & Finance, the Accounting Manager will:
- Manage all phases of Accounts Payables, Receivables and departmental budgets for multiple hotels in the downtown core;
- Ensure that guests have the best possible experience by troubleshooting and resolving all billing-related disputes in a timely manner. All guest concerns should be acknowledged within 48 hours of receiving the initial complaint;
- Calculate and remit wages and salaries for processing;
- Prepare regular reports and summaries of accounting activities as required;
- Prepare financial statements and debtors’ reports;
- Verify recorded transactions and report irregularities to Hotel General Manager;
- Provide direction to the night audit team to ensure proper revenue reporting;
- Review all ledger details: guest ledger, city ledger and deposit ledgers to validate proper payment and revenue posting. If any imbalance or difference is found on the ledger, then co-ordinate with the PMS team to resolve same;
- Review the postings, payments, revenue and guest balance reports on a daily basis;
- Ensure correct taxation is applied on all billing software like Property Management systems (PMS), and Point of Sale (POS) softwares;
- Ensure that all statutory details are displayed on the guest invoices and bills;
- Bill A/R accounts daily and send the same to guest along with the supporting bills and statements;
- Review the Accounts Receivable (A/R) Aging reports on a daily basis. Follow up 30 days after the initial billing if payment has not been received;
- Check customers’ credit ratings and flag accounts as ‘black listed’ for long outstanding or defaulter accounts;
- Enter invoices into accounts payable system weekly after verifying a purchase order was received from ordering department head with General Manager’s approval;
- Forecast cash payments and anticipate challenges arising from limited cash flow;
- Ensure that cash flows are adequate to allow business units to operate effectively;
- Maintain and transfer money between bank accounts as required;
- Perform numerical analysis of data and formulating conclusions and/or solutions;
- Approve all Travel Agent commissions and release payments after verification;
- Prepare financial reports and submissions to relevant government entities;
- Ensure all new hire paperwork, benefits, performance appraisals, disciplinary action forms and other pertinent personnel documents are e-filed in Payworks and maintained in accordance with the company HR practices;
- Monitor and contain all property inventories to ensure proper levels on property cash flows;
- Prepare and present financial reports for meetings and ownership;
- Work with the Director of Operations & Finance to prepare budgets and track profit / loss performance;
- Provide direction and training to hotel operational team in areas related to finance, financial reports, internal controls, labour management, payroll, etc;
- Recommend and maintain a system of policies and procedures that impose an adequate level of control over Finance Department activities;
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by the Director of Operations & Finance.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- Accounting skills and knowledge acquired through business college, (ie: Degree or Diploma in Accounting) and through enrolment in an accounting program (i.e. CGA, CPA or CMA) are considered an asset ;
- Minimum of two years demonstrated finance experience, preferably in hospitality;
- Friendly and cooperative disposition and easily able to work cooperatively with team members;
- Strong administrative, organizational and time management skills;
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal;
- Exceptional analytical skills to prepare reports and to solve routine accounting problems;
- Strong Computer skills – knowledge of ACCPAC, Maestro, Delphi and Excel a definite asset.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Sonia Brock at 416-886-1706.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.