Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
The Strathcona Hotel
The Strathcona Hotel is recruiting for a Duty Manager. The successful candidate will bear responsibilities of Front Office Supervision as well as Revenue Management. The role includes working with the hotel team to develop strategies and coordinate programs to optimize guest and employee satisfaction, product quality and revenue opportunities, and ensure the property’s ongoing competitiveness in the market.
Supervising the Front Office may include but is not limited to scheduling, training, employee development, telephone services, and guest reservations to ensure guest satisfaction and maximize hotel profitability. Revenue Management may include but is not limited to developing strategies to increase room revenue and optimize occupancy and ADR through daily yield management of room inventory for all distribution channels.
We are seeking someone who can bring a new perspective to our offering, if you are that person and feel your background and proven skill sets are right for this opportunity, we invite you to review the position description below and submit your application in accordance with the instructions below.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Front Office Manager, the Duty Manager will:
- Supervise Front Desk staff, managing performance and directing their development
- Provide courteous guest service and respond to guest needs as they arise. As well, deal with guest complaints and resolve them appropriately.
- Ensure that the highest possible service of standard is being offered to the guests.
- Ensure that supervised personnel are provided with adequate supplies and equipment in good repair for the accomplishment of their assigned duties.
- Assisting supervised staff in their job performance during peak activity periods or as required.
- Providing timely and responsive service to all other departments through good communications, etc.
- Maintaining timely and accurate files, reservations, room availability calendar and taking necessary action to open or close room availability on the “CRO” and “OTA’s” with Front Office Manager’s approval.
- Maintain an image of competence and professionalism to guests, employees and management.
- Comply with and enforce all policies and procedures as set from time to time by the Front Office Manager/General Manager.
- Inspect all V.I.P. rooms before arrival of the guest.
- Ensure that the hotel lobby/washrooms, portico is kept clean and tidy at all times.
- That employees grooming, attitude and deportment is in keeping with the Hotel’s image.
- Complying with emergency procedures in the event of fires, death, and any other situation requiring due care.
- Monitoring the methods and procedures used by employees for compliance with operating procedures.
- Respond to all guest requests, problems, complaints and/or accidents presented at the Front desk or through reservations, comment cards, letters or phone calls in an attentive manner and follow-up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Develop employee morale and motivation; ensure training of Guest Services personnel and assist in the development of a Front Office SOP’s / Manual
- Manage sell-out opportunities. Review arrivals, check on room inventory, control guest relocation.
- Review arrivals list and check for any special guest requests.
- Confirm Hotels.com/Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelCLICK and other OTA reservations.
- Ensure Front Desk agents complete daily responsibilities.
- Assist Front Desk with daily operations – answering phones, making reservations, checking in and out guests, assisting guests with their various enquiries.
- Review all cash paying guests with outstanding balances and get payment – no exceptions.
- Relieve Front Desk agents during their breaks.
- Conduct daily PM walk-around to ensure all departments are running smoothly – Housekeeping, Food and Beverage, Maintenance
- Assist Front Office Manager with the City Ledger collections.
- Conduct daily shift Stand Up Briefings.
- Ensuring compliance to proper accounting procedures (ie. paid outs, rebates, exchange, deposits etc.).
- Group reservations (rooming lists, follow ups, RDP data entry, MIS, coordination with other departments etc.)
- Prepare and submit required information for payroll within the deadlines established
- Assist Front Office Manager in monitoring and controlling labor costs and expenses, and achieving revenue and profitability goals
- Assist Front Office Manager in maintaining procedures for security of monies, credit and financial transactions, and guest security
- Ensure Team Members comply with hotel policies, procedures and guidelines
- Anticipate current and future room availability and maintain a current record of data management programs for analysis
- Managing of small groups, handling guest/suppliers complaints
- Management of hotel and third party websites with up-to-date hotel information
- Generate new revenue by offering suggestions and ideas for improvements
- Participate in the creation of new marketing initiatives designed to drive revenue
- Attend weekly Yield Management meeting and provide accurate weekly and monthly forecasting
- Conduct competitive pricing analysis of hotels in established comp set
- Promote and encourage interdepartmental cooperation and communication to optimize overall guest satisfaction
- Any other duties and responsibilities as may be required or requested by the Front Office Manager/General Manager
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members.
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels.
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute
- Possesses excellent organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrates strong leadership, team, communication and coaching skills
- Previous Front Office, Reservation and Revenue Management experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Word, Excel and Power Point is essential
- Excellent understanding of systems and how they interact with property systems
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills
- High degree of professionalism and dedication
- Must be flexible and willing to change roles or responsibilities as required
- Thrives in a fast-paced high-pressure environment-maintaining composure and objectivity
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law