Novotel Toronto Centre
45 The Esplanade
The Novotel Toronto Centre is currently recruiting for an Executive Chef. The role is responsible for the direction and coordination of all functions related to food preparation, outlets, banquets, stewarding, and the overall F&B visibility related to the positioning of the Novotel Toronto Centre F&B program.
The Executive Chef is responsible for inspection trips through the kitchen areas to observe working conditions, cleanliness, methods and progress of preparation and production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the General Manager, the Executive Chef’s responsibilities include:
- Oversees the preparation and coordination of the annual F & B budget.
- Constantly seeks out ways to improve service and increase volumes and profit through effective development and implementation of the F&B strategy plan.
- Analyzes the food and beverage operations, makes recommendations and implements new proposals to increase sales, cost controls, and increase productivity and guest satisfaction.
- Develops menus, promotions, and beverage programs, develops specifications and standards for all beverage operations.
- Actively develops and participates in the management and development of all food and beverage personnel including staff planning, hiring, scheduling, training and personal development.
- Creates and manages social media positioning and encourages excellent public and employee interaction.
- A dynamic member of the Executive Committee and participates actively in forecasting, as well as Department Head, departmental and various other committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Leads Food and Beverage meetings, attends department head meetings and coordinates kitchen department activities with other departments and hotel policies, including conducting departmental meetings for training and discussion.
- Develops all hotel menus based on available foods, taking into consideration labour and food cost.
- Must be knowledgeable in requirements of quantity of banquet food for a variety of event volume and style.
- Determine all food specifications and coordinate all ordering of food products and kitchen supplies, in close conjunction with the purchasing agent.
- Coordinate with the Catering Manager on banquet menu specifications and the creation of Banquet Event Orders.
- Prepares special dishes for demonstration or VIP functions as well as assisting in publicity related matters (i.e. industry and community promotions).
- Coordinate with guests to arrange special requests for unusual dishes or banquet requirements, as well as any specific dietary concerns.
- Perform interviews of applicants for job vacancies in conjunction with the Talent & Culture department for employment and other employee related matters.
- Responsible for the overall payroll and scheduling of staff to meet business fluctuations.
- Oversee all decisions of the outlets as a whole and responsible for making final decisions.
- Ensure that the Food & Beverage division is profitable and that the requirements of the shareholders are upheld.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members.
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels.
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute
- Minimum 8 years cooking experience;
- Minimum 5 years experienced as a Chef and/or previous experience as an Executive Sous Chef;
- University or College diploma in a culinary or hospitality field, with preference given to individuals who are Red Seal certified;
- Social Media savvy;
- Proven track record in menu and service design;
- Hands-on approach to training and a leadership style committed to developing and motivating the culinary team to attain a superior level of guest service;
- Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset;
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Has an eye for detail and creativity to look at things differently will be a key to developing the Food and Beverage Experience.
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and work well under pressure;
- Ability to achieve deadlines while focusing on departmental/hotel fiscal results;
- Proficient in EXCEL, Microsoft Word/Office/Outlook;
- Ability to work cohesively with all team members in all departments;
- Ability to work varied shifts to meet the needs/demands of the hotel.
About Novotel Toronto Centre:
The Novotel Toronto Centre has completed a multimillion-dollar complete property renovation. The Novotel Toronto Center in downtown Toronto is ideal for business or leisure travel. The hotel features an indoor pool, gym, restaurant, WiFi and meeting facilities. Many attractions are nearby including the Scotia Bank Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame, Rogers Centre, Harbourfront Centre, Eaton Centre, St. Lawrence Market, Centre Island (ferry docks) and the financial district. Union Station and public transport nearby. The Novotel Toronto Centre is the centre of the St. Lawrence Market community and provides modern accommodations in the heart of Old Toronto.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
The ideal candidate will have the ability to interact professionally with guests and team members, a ‘can do” attitude, and the desire to learn and advance within the company.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.