The Novotel Toronto Centre in downtown Toronto is ideal for business or vacation travel. The hotel features an indoor pool, gym, restaurant, WiFi and meeting facilities. Many attractions are nearby including the Scotiabank Arena, Harbourfront Centre, St. Lawrence Market, Centre Islands (ferry docks) and the financial district. Union Station and public transit are nearby. The Novotel Toronto Centre is the center of the St. Lawrence Market community and provides modern accommodations in the heart of Old Toronto. The Novotel Toronto Centre has recently embarked on a complete multi-million-dollar property renovation.
The hotel is currently recruiting for a Housekeeping Manager who is pumped, passionate, tuned-in to what’s happening in the hotel industry. The Housekeeping Manager is responsible for all aspects of the housekeeping department to ensure the clean, orderly, and attractive appeal of the property. The successful candidate will be coach and cheerleader for the housekeeping team, providing direction, coordination, and evaluation of this department, while sharing their flare for style and design.
Out-of-the-box thinkers who thrive in creating a fun team environment are encouraged to pursue this exciting opportunity. If you think you have what it takes and are looking to establish yourself as a front-runner in Toronto’s fast-paced hotel market, we invite you to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the General Manager, this position requires a highly motivated and ambitious professional who can work with minimal supervision:
- Builds and contributes to a service culture that is characterized by empowered guest service specialists, providing engaging service and creating memorable experiences.
- Maintains a strong team environment, placing emphasis on colleague satisfaction and development.
- Contributes to an environment of continuous improvement by proactively identifying areas of improvement and collaborating on solutions.
- Leads colleagues in a consultative style by providing encouragement, empowerment, support and coaching.
- Ensures effective departmental communication, as well as liaising between various departments to establish proactive processes ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Provides ongoing coaching and feedback to colleagues on guest service recovery and empowerment.
- Understands colleague job roles, responsibilities and performance expectations in order to effectively support and manage on the floor.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Housekeeping team.
- Manage departmental budget and expenses.
- Maintain confidentiality of hotel guests and pertinent hotel information.
- Ensure security of guest room access and hotel property.
- Resolves all guests-related requests and /or concerns, in a professional and courteous manner.
- Conducts pre-shift briefings.
- Establish, maintain and train standards and procedures for cleaning and safe working conditions in the housekeeping department.
- Works to ensure high scores for cleanliness and other housekeeping related items on all inspections.
- Develops and maintains a deep cleaning schedule and room cleanliness program.
- Inspects or delegates inspections of all guestrooms cleaned by room attendants.
- Develops an inspection program for all public areas and guestrooms to ensure that proper maintenance and standards are achieved and sustained.
- Ensures final inspection of all housekeeping-related duties performed by housekeeping team.
- Initiates new procedures to increase efficiency of labor and safe chemical and equipment use.
- Effectively develops departmental schedule, while optimizing staffing levels based on business volumes and demands.
- Accurately processes semi-monthly payroll, and related time & attendance.
- Demonstrates team spirit and leads by example by supporting others, offering suggestions and taking initiative and ownership of actions.
- Supports colleagues by demonstrating consistent and timely presence in all areas of the hotel operation during peak operational times.
- Sets the highest standards in regard to grooming and overall professionalism.
- Participates in training of colleagues; both new hire training, and ongoing role specific training.
- Ensures compliance with hotel and department specific policies and procedures, including health & safety, service standards, property specific systems and the collective agreement.
- Attends and contributes to all Department Head and cross-functional departmental meetings.
- May serve as “manager on duty” as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned including assisting staff with their job functions during peak periods.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Frequent kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members.
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels.
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute
- 3-4 years previous managerial experience in housekeeping in a Hotel or related industry
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Tourism or Hospitality preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational, technical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to think clearly in pressure situations, exercise good judgement and focus attention on details.
- Is able to endure an abundance of physical movements in the performance of job duties.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Highly interpersonal; comfortable engaging with all guests, visitors, vendors and team members.
- Experience in the financial management for a housekeeping department is an asset.
- Prior union experience is an asset.
- Is recognized as a strong leader who can develop the skills of others.
- Experience working in a unionized environment will be considered an asset
- Is respected as a coach and role model.
- Is comfortable in a multi-tasking environment
- Positive attitude is a must!
- Must be available to work flexible shifts which may include but not limited to days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays as required by management.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources email@example.com. The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.