Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 700+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new leaders who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional!
We are currently recruiting for a Regional Director of Engineering! Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Regional Director of Engineering is responsible for providing guidance and direction to the Maintenance Managers, Chief Engineers and General Managers who are responsible for the engineering programs at their respective hotels. As a Regional Director, this role oversees the maintenance and engineering division for the company and provides leadership and guidance in all areas related to asset maintenance, safety, security, repairs and replacements.
If you are a creative individual who thrives in an environment where you can optimize processes and efficiency by testing new ideas/strategies to drive business, we encourage you to take advantage of this exciting opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the physical plant and grounds at all properties including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with local codes and regulations;
- Coach and support engineering managers to effectively manage controllable expenses;
- Oversee training of engineering teams across all properties with a focus on property management systems, procedures, equipment and life safety;
- Train and oversee the effective use of Transcendent PM and equipment maintenance system and review regularly with General Managers and above-property leadership;
- Administer service contracts to support property needs;
- Review building and equipment licenses, permits and certifications for each property and update documentation as needed;
- Supervise construction and renovation projects to ensure timely completion within budgeted guidelines;
- Oversee strategies to manage and control heat, light and power usage across properties;
- Assist in developing and overseeing Engineering budgets, including capital expenditure goals;
- Work with each hotel to review financial reports and statements to determine how Engineering is performing against budget for each property;
- Oversee execution of long-term preventative maintenance and 10-year asset protection plans for each property;
- Provide guidance to hotels on resolving maintenance issues which constantly cause guest problems and complaints;
- Ensure compliance with provincial, local and federal regulations;
- Ensure property life safety systems are maintained (e.g., fire-fighting equipment, sprinkler systems, and alarm systems);
- Review and manage controllable expenses such as, heat, light, power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, etc.;
- Take steps to ensure that appropriate disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to policy/standards/local law;
- Foster relationships that encourage team member feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address problems or concerns in a timely manner;
- Ensure recognition of team member contributions and successes;
- Bring issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary;
- Ensure that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation and that daily operations activities are communicated, expectations are set and there is a strong awareness of business objectives;
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill set and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major; 4 years’ experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC/ Refrigeration/Electrical/Plumbing;
- 4th class power engineering certificate, or higher, an asset;
- Experience in maintenance in a hotel environment is a strong asset;
- Good physical condition, as position can be physically demanding;
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and guest service skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Computer and hotel systems knowledge an asset (MS Office, PMS, electronic key systems etc);
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Willing to respond to after-hours emergencies;
- Proficient in problem-solving, analytical, creative thinking and decision making;
- This role will require frequent travel between property locations. Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Available to work evenings/weekends as required.
Silver Hotel Groups is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.