1 Valhalla Inn Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6J1
The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for a Director of Food & Beverage. This role will be responsible for the ongoing day-to-day leadership of the Food & Beverage Division, which includes Restaurants, Banquets and Kitchen. The Director of Food & Beverage will lead and manage the execution of the strategic direction of food and beverage for the Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay. The position reports to the General Manager and works collaboratively with the Corporate Director of Food & Beverage and is a member of the Hotel’s senior leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Food & Beverage will:
- Oversee the day-to-day leadership for the Food & Beverage Division, which includes Restaurants, Banquets and Kitchen, and drive a culture of performance and high engagement through the development of recognition, training and professional growth and coaching programs;
- Work with the General Manager and Corporate Director of Food & Beverage to develop the annual strategic plan that will drive the Hotel’s food & beverage revenue, as well as guest satisfaction and team member engagement goals;
- Develop, train, communicate and reinforce the service vision and standards to Managers and Supervisors and coach them in effectively leading the team towards the successful execution of the vision;
- Ensure food and beverage budgets and targets are achieved and/or exceeded, by capitalizing on revenue opportunities and appropriately managing labour and expenses;
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to processes that allow team members to provide service that is aligned with our vision of creating exceptional experiences;
- Purchase, manage and oversee all food and beverage inventory and processes. Ensure inventory for functions, including opening and closing inventories, accurate bar summaries and cash deposits are prepared;
- Perform other duties as assigned including assisting team member with their roles during peak periods. This is a hands-on role and the Director of Food & Beverage should be prepared to jump in and assist with the operation when needed;
- Liaise with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- Minimum 5 years of previous Food & Beverage management experience, preferably in a Hotel environment;
- Experience working in a Kitchen or as an Executive Chef or Sous Chef is a definite asset;
- Diploma or degree in Hospitality Management or Business, is a definite asset;
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and Hotel Property Management Systems is essential;
- Organized, results orientated, proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Proven experience motivating and inspiring a team to achieve strong performance results;
- Demonstrates strong leadership, team, communication and coaching skills;
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment-maintaining composure and objectivity with guests and team members;
- Available to work nights, weekends and/or holidays as required, including occasional Manager-On-Duty shifts.
About Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.
With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at 1 800 964 1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.