Location: 1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6J1
The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for an Executive Chef! This role will be responsible for the ongoing day-to-day leadership of the culinary department, which includes Culinary Leaders, Cooks and Stewards. In collaboration with the General Manager and Director of Food & Beverage, the role will also help lead and manage the execution of the Food & Beverage vision for the Hotel. Along with being in tune with current food and beverage trends, the role requires a leader who is passionate, creative and brings strong food and beverage presentation skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day leadership of the Kitchen and Stewarding teams, which includes driving a culture of performance and high engagement through recognition, training and coaching;
- Develop, train, communicate and reinforce the service vision and standards to team members and coach them in supporting the successful execution of the vision;
- Consistently display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling team members as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to managing a team;
- Oversee and manage food and labour costs and controls, including menu costing and productivity controls;
- Responsible for ensuring the purchasing of all required items for the Kitchen is taken care of and that costs are managed accordingly;
- Develop, cost and implement menus, training programs and SOP’s for the Kitchen team;
- Identify and resolve all guest concerns/complaints to ensure the brand promise delivered; coach and empower team members to do the same;
- Conduct timely analysis of food & beverage pricing to ensure competitiveness in the market and capitalize on revenue opportunities;
- Actively involved in the menu development and maintaining updated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the F&B operation;
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to processes that allow team members to provide service that is aligned with our vision of creating exceptional experiences;
- Perform other duties as assigned including assisting team member with their roles during peak periods;
- Liaise with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
- Perform any other duties as reasonably requested.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- 3-5 years’ experience as Executive Chef; 4-5 years as Executive Sous Chef within a full-service hotel environment;
- University or College diploma in a culinary or hospitality field, with preference given to individuals who are Red Seal certified;
- Brings a hands-on approach to training and a leadership style committed to developing and motivating the culinary team to attain a superior level of guest service;
- Proven experience in menu and service design;
- Experience working in unionized environment is a definite asset;
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Office and Hotel Property Management Systems is essential;
- Organized, results orientated, proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Proven experience motivating and inspiring a team to achieve strong performance results;
- Demonstrates strong leadership, team, communication and coaching skills;
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment-maintaining composure and objectivity with guests and team members;
- Available to work nights, weekends and/or holidays as required, including occasional Manager-On-Duty shifts.
About Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.
With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at (807) 577-1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.