The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for a General Cook 1. As a member of the Kitchen Team General Cooks are focused on providing exceptional service and creating memorable dining experiences for all guests by ensuring all food items are ready on time and ensuring quality control as through strictly following recipes and production standard. With five or more years of Kitchen experience the General Cook 1 is well versed in kitchen methodology and are able to prepare and cook full course meals, individual dishes and other food items independently or as part of a team. The General Cook is experienced in all areas of the kitchen and shows leadership by setting an example to fellow associates in terms of job competence, organization, knowledge, and professionalism. The General Cook ensure timely communication of any problems that arise and immediately reports them to the Chef, they must have strong organizational, leadership and multi-tasking skills. General Cooks are responsible for ensuring the cleanliness and functioning of the kitchen working areas, including equipment and utensils. ensure quality and consistency of food, and attractive plating while limiting waste and working with minimal supervision. The successful candidate will also have the ability to prepare dishes for customers with food allergies or intolerances, work with specialized cooking equipment. As well as maximizing our guests experience by assisting in the efficient operation and production to ensure a pleasurable and memorable experience for each guest that drives guest loyalty and return business.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the General Cook 1 will:
- Provide quality control and timely production of all food preparation.
- Responsible for basic mise en place, preparation, cooking, quality, quantity, presentation and fast service of all items, including sauces, vegetables and farinaceous products.
- Must have good knowledge of preparation, roasting, grilling, poaching, and frying of meat, poultry, fish and vegetable products.
- Must be able to prepare soups and stocks as per specifications.
- Prepare dishes for guests with food allergies or intolerances, or special requests
- Assist the Chef in Financial controls by ensuring good productivity using only the necessary labour. Exercise food cost controls by reducing wastage through monitoring production.
- Consult daily with the Chef concerning menus, specials, Banquets, special events and quantities to be produced and served, reports of any big quantities left over.
- Prepare and cook individual dishes and foods as well as full course meals
- Knowledge of specialized cooking equipment and food safety practices
- Attention to detail and a desire to exceed guest expectations
- Experience in fast paced kitchen, able to multi task.
- Ability to react quickly and adapt to different situations
- Experience in high volume prep
- Flexibility in working different areas of a hospitality kitchen; banquet functions, prep, line cook, fine dining, pastry, hot and cold sides
- Respond to all guest inquiries, requests and concerns ensuring 100% guest satisfaction
- Conduct on the job training to new associates as required
- Maintain a friendly, professional and productive working relationship with co-workers and management from all departments
- Understand and apply all hotel safety and security procedures as required to maintain a secure and safe work environment for associated and guests.
- Understand and comply with all health and safety rules, regulations and laws. Report unsafe acts or hazardous conditions, report all workplace incidents/accidents or near misses, wearing all Personal Protective Equipment required, and participate in the fire safety plan;
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings
- Cooperate with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager.
- Minimum 5 years of kitchen/catering experience, hotel environment preferred
- Minimum 5 years culinary experience including minimum of 3 years short order experience or completion of college program
- Current Food Safe Certification
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, organize and multi-task
- Wears a uniform and able to represent a defined and high grooming standard.
- Proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Available to work days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays as required,
- Perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis
- Physical demands include but are not limited to walking, standing, reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- High level of mental effort.
- High level of sensory attention: sight and hearing.
- Overtime as required.
- Standing and/or walking for prolonged periods.
The company has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Policy which states that successful applicants are required to provide proof of full vaccination or proof of a documented exemption as part of the hiring process. Details of the policy will be discussed as part of the hiring process.
About Valhalla Inn
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.
With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture. Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at 1 800 964 1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.