Location: 1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6J1
The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for a Maintenance Manager! This role will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operation of the Maintenance Department and all facilities systems throughout the property, ensuring that all systems are operational and that an ongoing preventative maintenance plan is in place. The Maintenance Manager provides management and direct support to the maintenance team on all day-to-day hotel maintenance operations and ensures that safety is our top priority when addressing maintenance requests. The successful candidate will work closely with senior leaders to develop and implement strategies and plans to achieve business goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
The key roles and responsibilities of the Maintenance Manager include:
- Oversee the day-to-day leadership of the Maintenance department, which includes scheduling, coordinating daily tasks, teaching maintenance skills to the team and ensuring work is performed at a high standard to deliver on our brand promise of providing exceptional experiences;
- Oversee the physical operations of the Hotel, including maintenance and repair of interior and exterior areas, including guest rooms, public areas, laundry equipment, kitchen equipment, elevator, lighting, heating, air conditioning, ventilation, building automation systems, fire alarm, fire suppression, physical plant water treatment, electrical, plumbing, grey water, roof systems, building envelope, and swimming pool;
- Communicate goals and tasks clearly and hold team members accountable for their work;
- Develop a building maintenance operating strategy that is aligned with the property/brand’s business strategy;
- Ensure all team members are properly trained and have the tools needed to effectively carry out their respective job duties;
- Identify and resolve all guest concerns/complaints to ensure the brand promise is delivered; coach and empower the team members to do the same;
- Make recommendations pertaining to capital and operating expenditures necessary to maintain the property to its maximum potential;
- Perform other duties as assigned including assisting team member with their roles during peak periods and trouble shooting maintenance concerns as necessary;
- Liaise with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- 3-5 year’s experience in facilities maintenance and engineering or related professional area, Hotel experience preferred;
- Technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing a definite asset;
- Pool Operators Certificate and First Aid/CPR an asset;
- Power Engineer or Building operator certificate is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a team environment with several divisions/departments;
- Excellent interpersonal and guest service skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential;
- Computer literate in property operating systems such as Opera, Galaxy, Springer Miller, etc., as well as being proficient at using 2010 or newer versions of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), and work with electronic key systems such as Ving or SafLok;
- Organized, results orientated, proven time management skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment-maintaining composure and objectivity with guests and team members;
- Awareness of environmentally sound practices;
- Must hold valid Class G driver’s license with no restrictions where required by Hotel;
- Travel as required;
- Legally authorized to work in Canada;
- Available to work nights, weekends and/or holidays as required, including occasional Manager-On-Duty shifts.
About Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.
With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at (807) 577-1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.