Location: 1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6J1
The Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay is currently recruiting for a Staff Accountant! Reporting to the General Manager, the Staff Accountant will perform all accounting duties as required for the Hotel. This includes accounts receivable, accounts payables, payroll.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the General Manager, the Staff Accountant will:
- Manage all phases of accounts payables and accounts receivables;
- Oversee and lead the payroll process for the Hotel, providing guidance and direction to department leaders to ensure payroll accuracy and processing;
- Ensure that guests have best possible experience by troubleshooting and resolving all billing-related disputes in a timely manner. All guest concerns should be acknowledged within 48 hours of receiving the initial complaint;
- Prepare regular reports and summaries of accounting activities as required;
- Review all ledger details: guest ledger, city ledger and deposit ledgers to validate proper payment and revenue posting, resolve issues as needed;
- Prepare financial reports and submissions to relevant government entities;
- Ensure cash flows are adequate to allow business units to operate effectively;
- Ensure all new hire paperwork, benefits and other pertinent personnel documents are e-filed in Payworks and maintained in accordance with the company HR practices;
- Monitor and contain all property inventories to ensure proper levels on property cash flows;
- Provide direction and training to hotel operational team in areas related to finance, financial reports, internal controls, payroll, etc;
- Recommend and maintain a system of policies and procedures that impose an adequate level of control over Finance Department activities;
- Liaise with all supporting departments to ensure a seamless experience for our guests, ensuring our vision of passionate people creating exceptional experiences is at the forefront of every interaction;
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by the General Manager/Director of Operations & Finance.
In addition to the core job requirements, skill sets and work-related experience; the ideal candidate will illustrate the ability and drive to:
- Drive the corporate culture, personifying it in daily interactions with both guests and team members;
- Be an engaging leader who is highly inclusive, inspiring and able to relate to all levels;
- Create a fun and supportive working environment where team members aspire to do what is right and are given the empowerment to execute.
- Accounting skills and knowledge acquired through business college, (ie: Degree or Diploma in Accounting) and through enrolment in an accounting program (i.e. CGA, CPA or CMA) are considered an asset ;
- Minimum of two years demonstrated finance experience, preferably in hospitality;
- Friendly and cooperative disposition and easily able to work cooperatively with team members;
- Strong administrative, organizational and time management skills;
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal;
- Exceptional analytical skills to prepare reports and to solve routine accounting problems;
- Strong Computer skills – knowledge of ACCPAC, Maestro, Opera, POS, Delphi and Excel a definite asset.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment-maintaining composure and objectivity with guests and team members;
- Available to work nights, weekends and/or holidays as required, including occasional Manager-On-Duty shifts.
About Valhalla Inn Thunder Bay
The Valhalla Inn is both the largest full-service hotel in Northwestern Ontario and the most unique. Located just minutes away from the Thunder Bay International Airport and near to some of the city’s main attractions, The Valhalla Inn is perfectly situated for any travelling to Thunder Bay.
With a wide array of accommodations ranging from Executive Suites to Family Rooms and even Pet-Friendly Rooms, the Hotel boasts 265 rooms meeting every traveler’s needs. The Hotel is slated to begin a full renovation in 2021.
Silver Hotel Group (SHG) is a family-owned Canadian hotel investment, development, and management company. Our portfolio includes hotels in Canada and the U.S., and ranges from internationally branded full and select service hotels to independent and boutique hotels.
At SHG, our culture is fundamental to our success. Each empowered team member strives to exhibit passion, creativity, and fun every day. Together, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional experiences by living our core values as our road map: Accountability, Teamwork, Leadership, Diversity, Integrity, Giving, Fun, Recognition.
As we continue to grow, our mantra “You Matter” resonates with our 600+ team members in how we do business, which will continue to enhance engagement and retention.
Today, we look for new team members who demonstrate both aptitude and the passion to embrace and contribute to our Culture.
Help us build something exceptional! Successful candidates will be invited to a virtual interview!
The Silver Hotel Group believes in outstanding hospitality and takes seriously its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Melissa Gillard at (807) 577-1121.
The Silver Hotel Group is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status or any other characteristics protected by law.